I like the twist on this Marble Cake. It uses applesauce and orange juice. Flavor is fantastic.
For the vanilla batter:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup orange juice
For the chocolate batter:
- 2 ounces unsweetened (or very dark) baking chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing the parchment to hang over on opposite sides.
- Make the vanilla batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer (or using a handheld electric mixer and a large bowl), beat together the vegetable oil, applesauce, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and almond extract at medium speed until pale yellow, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in half of the orange juice on low speed, followed by half of the flour mixture, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Then beat in the remaining orange juice, followed by the remaining flour, beating on low until combined.